It was a beautiful day in downtown DC for a baseball game. Our Yanks pulled it out in the 14th inning 5-3. My family made it to the middle of the 12th before we decided to beat the Metro rush (if that's even possible) and head back to VA. (I saw couples younger than us leaving early, too, so I think we did okay to make it three innings past a normal game.) We probably left our house around 9:30 am and didn't get back home until nearly 8 pm, so it was a long day for my family - I thank my wife, son, and daughter for indulging my Yankees passion. (Both kids were bored by the 2nd inning, but they hung in there.)
They were tons of Yankees fan there, including ones that I talked to from New Jersey and Newport News, VA. One older gentlemen, from Newport News, asked me where I was from originally, and when I said "The Northern Neck", he threw Jim Coates' name at me. This older man was born on Mickey Mantle's birthday, and remembered fondly getting Mantle's autograph at a Yankees/Senators game in the 1960s. I talked to a man in his 40s from Essex County, NJ on the Metro ride home; he and his family were planning on attending Sunday's game before heading back to NJ. They did the monuments and Spy Museum today. Today, I felt a little like my dad Ralph - making conversation with strangers. It's a small world if you give it a chance, right?
The Yankees have now won eight in a row, and reminded DC-area fans.: Don't count your chickens before they hatch...yes, your team is doing well...but, they haven't won ANYTHING yet - including a couple games over my Yankees. I hope New York wraps up the sweep tomorrow. Phenom Bryce Harper went 0-7 with 5 Ks today. Ouch.
GO YANKEES.
Hiç yorum yok:
Yorum Gönder